Social Icons

Pages

25.9.12

House Update #6




Framing has begun!

We were very excited to see that the frame had been started yesterday (Monday) when we drove by to look.

This house plan is based off of another house in this neighborhood, but scaled down in places.  The master bedroom came in one foot.  We chopped off the office a bit.  The upstairs media room took a cut.  We didn't need all the space that the other house provided - as long as it was an open floor plan, which it still is.

One place we scaled down, and I am regretting it, is the main living room.  We took out some square footage to keep costs down, but unfortunately, the hopes and dreams I had for the furniture to go in there may not come to fruition.  I was still picturing the footage provided in the original plans (the 3,700 sq. ft. plans - not our scaled down version).

When Jonathan and I went out last night to look at the progress, we started to walk the house, the rooms, where the walls, doors, and major areas were.  To my disappointment, the living room seemed so small - not what I had remembered.  How was I ever going to fit the masses of people I was planning to entertain in there?  I needed a sofa to fit 16 people at least!  With chairs, and stools, and still manage to move!

But that is my own fault.  For allowing what I remembered get in the way of what we actually have.

Since yesterday, I have perused a few options for furniture and have found that even in our smaller space, I can still get a lot of what I want.  I have a renewed excitement for what this house will be, both big and small, contemporary and warm, open and cozy.

As my ever-optimistic husband reminds me: It's going to be EPIC.  It really will be.

Here's to learning experiences!
Cheers -
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment