Social Icons

Pages

18.10.12

Single-Handedly Saving the Economy


Step aside, Mr. President!  And Mr. Romney!  The answer to this country's economic woes is very simple: Everyone needs to act like they're furnishing a house (in the mindset of a 27 year-old, middle-class female).  It's not a credit limit... it's a goal line!

BUY ALL THE THINGS!  AHAHAHAHAHA!  

Maniacal laugh aside, I firmly believe that I am single-handedly saving stores like Crate&Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm, VivaTerra, CB2, and many others, simply by building a house.

It's horrible (and awesome).  I can't stop myself.  I've had to shred four credit cards in the last three months to keep myself from using them.  Like a jonesin' Alzheimer's patient, I keep going back to the same websites, and the same stores, and Houzz - just to see what more I can buy.  Like I've never been there before - scouring each page, wandering aimlessly through the online quarry, just waiting to find something that I want.

And it's not like they have new things every day.  They change out their newest items about quarterly, maybe monthly, with a steady flow of their standards.  Crate&Barrel hasn't had a new item since July.  But I keep checking their site - ready to pounce on the next item I can vaguely picture somewhere in our new house.

The leasing office employees at our apartment complex have started taking bets on how many packages will come for me on any given week.  They make fun of Jonathan when he goes in to pick them up, because they're never for him, and he's always very confused as to what he's having to haul back to the apartment.  Pillows?  Lamps?  Plates?  It's surprise every day!

If everyone in this country - or even just half of us - acted as though we were furnishing a brand new home, the economic crisis would do a 180.  Of course, then we wouldn't be able to retire... or we'd dig ourselves into deep credit debt... so maybe this isn't the best plan for everyone, but I'm darn sure that West Elm knows me by name.

Cheers -
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment